Place:


Elton  Northamptonshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Elton like this:

ELTON, a village and a parish in the district of Oundle, and county of Huntingdon. The village stands on the verge of the county and on the river Nen, adjacent to the Northampton and Peterborough railway, 4¼ miles NE by N of Oundle; and has a station on the railway, and a post office under Oundle. ...


The parish comprises 3, 250 acres. Real property, £5, 887. Pop., 947. Houses, 211. The property is divided among a few. Elton Hall is the seat of the Earl of Carysfort. Remains exist of an ancient seat of the Sapcotts and the Probys. Part of the land is hill-pasture and heath. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely. Value, £478.* Patron, University College, Oxford. The church is good; and there is a Wesleyan chapel. Cooper's hospital has £165; Proby's school has £40; and other chatities have £16.

Elton through time

Elton is now part of Huntingdonshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Huntingdonshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Elton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Elton, in Huntingdonshire and Northamptonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7179

Date accessed: 15th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Elton ".