Place:


Eyke  Suffolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Eyke like this:

EYKE, a village and a parish in Plomesgate district, Suffolk. The village stands near the river Deben, 1½ mile ENE of Melton r. station, and 3 NE by E of Woodbridge; and has a post office under Woodbridge. The parish comprises 2, 749 acres. Real property, £2, 675. Pop., 486. Houses, 109. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £440.* Patron, the Earl of Stradbroke. The church is Norman, has a brass of the 15th century, and was repaired in 1859. Charities, £44.

Eyke through time

Eyke is now part of Suffolk Coastal district. Click here for graphs and data of how Suffolk Coastal has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Eyke itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Eyke in Suffolk Coastal | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7166

Date accessed: 15th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Eyke ".