Place:


Alconbury  Huntingdonshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Alconbury like this:

ALCONBURY, or Alkmundbury, a parish in the district and county of Huntingdon; on Alconbury brook, near Ermine-street and the Eastern Counties railway, 5 miles NW of Huntingdon. It has a post office under Huntingdon, and a fair on 24 June. Acres, 3,700. Real property, £5,087. Pop., 909. Houses, 200. ...


Alconbury Lodge is the chief residence. Alconbury hill commands a fine view. Alconbury brook rises on the confines of Northamptonshire, and runs about 3 miles south-eastward to the Ouse at Huntingdon. The living includes Alconbury-Weston, and is a vicarage in the diocese of Elv. Value, £162.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Westminster. The church is good; and there is a Wesleyan chapel.

Alconbury through time

Alconbury is now part of Huntingdonshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Huntingdonshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Alconbury itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Alconbury in Huntingdonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7140

Date accessed: 11th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Alconbury ".