Place:


Cotton  Suffolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Cotton like this:

COTTON, a parish in Hartismere district, Suffolk; on the Eastern Union railway, 1½ mile S of Finningham r. station, and 6 N by E of Stowmarket. Post town, Finningham, under Stowmarket. Acres, 1, 921. Real property, £3, 278. Pop., 542. Houses, 120. The property is much subdivided. Cotton Hall is the seat of M. Turner, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £355.* Patron, M. Turner, Esq. The church is good; and there are a Wesleyan chapel, a parochial school, and charities £12.

Cotton through time

Cotton is now part of Mid Suffolk district. Click here for graphs and data of how Mid Suffolk has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Cotton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Cotton in Mid Suffolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7102

Date accessed: 21st November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Cotton ".