Place:


Chelmondiston  Suffolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Chelmondiston like this:

CHELMONDISTON, a parish in Samford district, Suffolk; on the estuary of the river Orwell, 5¾ miles E by S of Bentley Junction r. station, and 6 SSE of Ipswich. It has a post office under Ipswich. Acres, 1, 627; of which 340 are water. Real property, £2, 870. Pop., 949. Houses, 206. The property is divided among a few. Fisheries and the making of Roman cement are carried on. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £347.* Patron, the Lord Chaucellor. The church is ancient. There are Baptist and Wesleyan chapels, national schools, and a boarding school.

Chelmondiston through time

Chelmondiston is now part of Babergh district. Click here for graphs and data of how Babergh has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Chelmondiston itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Chelmondiston, in Babergh and Suffolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7086

Date accessed: 20th March 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Chelmondiston ".