Place:


Brockley  Suffolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Brockley like this:

BROCKLEY, a parish in Thingoe district, Suffolk; on an affluent of the river Stour, 6½ miles SSW of Bury St. Edmunds r. station. Post Town, Lawshall, under Bury St. Edmunds. Acres, 1,565. Real property, £2,251. Pop., 340. Houses, 74. The property is much subdivided. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely. Value, £510.* Patron, the Rev. Mr. Cartwright. The church is an ancient structure, with a small tower; and contains a handsome monument of the Sprigges. There are a Baptist chapel, and charities £62.

Brockley through time

Brockley is now part of St Edmundsbury district. Click here for graphs and data of how St Edmundsbury has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Brockley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Brockley, in St Edmundsbury and Suffolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7064

Date accessed: 17th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Brockley ".