In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Benhall like this:
BENHALL, a parish in Plomesgate district, Suffolk; adjacent to the Alde river and the East Suffolk railway, 1½ mile SW of Saxmundham. It has a post office, of the name of Benhall Green, under Saxmundham. Acres, 2,156. Real property, £3,846. Pop., 678. Houses, 153. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged to successively the Uffords, the De la Poles, and the Dukes. Benhall Lodge is the seat of the Rev. E. Hollond. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £173.* Patron, the Rev. E. Hollond The church is good; and has a brass of 1548. An endowed school has £28.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Benhall has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Suffolk Coastal. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Benhall and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Benhall in Suffolk Coastal | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 10th October 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Benhall".