In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Belstead like this:
BELSTEAD, a parish in Samford district, Suffolk; near the Eastern Union railway, 3½ miles SW of Ipswich. Post Town, Ipswich. Acres, 1,022. Real property, £1,849. Pop., 292. Houses, 57. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £370.* Patron, the Rev. E. J. Lockwood. The church is tolerable; and there is an Independent chapel.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Belstead has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Babergh. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Belstead and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Belstead, in Babergh and Suffolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 27th May 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Belstead".