Place:


Bawdsey  Suffolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Bawdsey like this:

BAWDSEY, a village and a parish in Woodbridge district, Suffolk. The village stands near the mouth of the Deben river, 9 miles SSE of Woodbridge r. station; has a post office under Woodbridge; and was once a market-town. The parish comprises 1,744 acres of land, and 325 of water. Real property, £3,099. ...


Pop., 426. Houses, 101. The coast is defended by Martello towers. Bawdsey Haven. in the mouth of the Deben, gives shelter to small craft. Bawdsey Hall is on the coast. Bawdsey Sand is a shoal, about 5 miles distant, 4 miles long, and ¾ of a mile broad, with 10 feet and upwards of water. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £193.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is a small, neat, recent structure; and was preceded by a fine early Saxon edifice, the reduced tower of which, now 60 feet high, still stands. There are a Wesleyan chapel, and national schools.

Bawdsey through time

Bawdsey is now part of Suffolk Coastal district. Click here for graphs and data of how Suffolk Coastal has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Bawdsey itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bawdsey in Suffolk Coastal | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/7022

Date accessed: 22nd February 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Bawdsey ".