Place:


Aldham  Suffolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Aldham like this:

ALDHAM, a parish in Cosford district, Suffolk; near the river Bret, 2 miles N of Hadleigh r. station. Post town, Hadleigh, under Ipswich. Acres, 1,744. Real property, £1,360. Pop. 267. Houses, 60. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely. Value, £290. Patron, T. B. Lennard, Esq. The church is very ancient, and has a Norman round tower. A priory cell stood at Priory Farm. Rowland Taylor was burned, in 1555, on Aldham Common.

Aldham through time

Aldham is now part of Babergh district. Click here for graphs and data of how Babergh has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Aldham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Aldham, in Babergh and Suffolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6994

Date accessed: 20th November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Aldham ".