In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Woodham Mortimer like this:
WOODHAM-MORTIMER, a parish in Maldon district, Essex; 2½ miles SW of Maldon r. station. It has a post-office under Maldon. Acres, 1,380. Real property, £2,149. Pop., 324. Houses, 66. W. M. Place, W. M. Hall, and W. M. Lodge, are chief residences. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £352.* Patron, Mrs. Round. The church is good. Charities, £14.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Woodham Mortimer has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Maldon. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Woodham Mortimer and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Woodham Mortimer, in Maldon and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 24th February 2017
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Woodham Mortimer".