In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Wimbish like this:
WIMBISH, a parish, with Thunderley hamlet, in Saffron-Walden district, Essex; 4¼ miles SE of Saffron-Walden r. station. Post town, Saffron-Walden. Acres, 4,862. Real property, £6,203. Pop., 939. Houses, 195. The property is much subdivided. The living is a double vicarage in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £300.* Patron, the Rev. H. H. Beamish. The church is good; and there is a parochial school.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Wimbish has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Uttlesford. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Wimbish and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Wimbish, in Uttlesford and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 09th December 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Wimbish".