In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Wickford like this:
WICKFORD, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Billericay district, Essex. The village stands on the river Crouch, 4 miles N by E of Pitsea r. station; is an ancient place; and has a post-office under Chelmsford. The parish comprises 1,758 acres. Real property, £3,426. Pop., 462. Houses, 105. The property is divided among a few. W. Hall is a farmhouse. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £393.* Patron, R. B. Berens, Esq. The church is old but good; and there is an Independent chapel.The sub-district contains 7 parishes and a chapelry. Acres, 16,040. Pop., 2,061. Houses, 415.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Wickford has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Basildon. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Wickford and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Wickford, in Basildon and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 08th December 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Wickford".