In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Little Waltham like this:
WALTHAM (Little), a parish, with a village, in Chelmsford district, Essex; 3½ miles N of Chelmsford r. station. It has a post-office under Chelmsford. Acres, 2,227. Real property, £5,169. Pop., 684. Houses, 156. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £610.* Patron, Exeter College, Oxford. The church is good; and there are an Independent chapel, an endowed school with £50 a year, and charities £.150.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Little Waltham has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Chelmsford. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Little Waltham and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Little Waltham, in Chelmsford and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 16th September 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Little Waltham".