In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Tilty like this:
TILTY, a parish in Dunmow district, Essex; 3¾ miles NNW of Dunmow, and 4½ E of Elsenham r. station. Post town, Dunmow, under Chelmsford. Acres, 1,040. Real property, £1,278. Pop., 83. Houses, 20. A Cistertian abbey was founded here in 1152, by the Earl of Derby; and was given, at the dissolution, to Lord Andley. The living is a donative in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £100.* Patron, Viscount Maynard. The church was part of the abbey, and is decorated English.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Tilty has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Uttlesford. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Tilty and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Tilty, in Uttlesford and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 01st October 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Tilty".