In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Tillingham like this:
TILLINGHAM, a parish, with a village, in Maldon district, Essex; 13 miles ESE of Maldon r. station. It has a post-office under Maldon, and a fair on 16 and 17 Sept. Acres, 7,235; of which 3,100 are water. Real property, £7,173. Pop., 1,040. Houses, 231. The property is much subdivided. The manor has belonged, from the Saxon times, to the cathedral of St. Paul's. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £336.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of St. Paul's. The church was recently restored and enlarged. There are Independent and Baptist chapels, a national school, and charities £35.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Tillingham has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Maldon. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Tillingham and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Tillingham, in Maldon and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 01st May 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Tillingham".