In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described West Tilbury like this:
TILBURY (West), a parish in Orsett district, Essex; near Low-street r. station, and extending south-westward to the Thames at Tilbury Fort. It has a post-office under Romford. Acres, 2,086; of which 255 are water. Real property, £783. Pop., 385. Houses, 57. A mineral spring was discovered in 1727. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £558.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is ancient. Archbishop Land was rector.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing West Tilbury has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Thurrock. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering West Tilbury and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of West Tilbury, in Thurrock and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 22nd October 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "West Tilbury".