Place:


Stisted  Essex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Stisted like this:

STISTED, a parish in Braintree district, Essex; on the river Blackwater, 3 miles ENE of Braintree r. station. It has a post-office under Braintree. Acres, 2,967. Real property, £4,811. Pop., 821. Houses, 189. The manor, with S. Hall, belongs to O. S. Onley, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £750.* Patron, the Archbishop of Canterbury. The church is partly Norman, with recently restored chancel; and has a modern tower and spire. There are an Independent chapel, and charities £12.

Stisted through time

Stisted is now part of Braintree district. Click here for graphs and data of how Braintree has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Stisted itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Stisted, in Braintree and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6918

Date accessed: 17th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Stisted ".