Place:


Stambourne  Essex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Stambourne like this:

STAMBOURNE, a parish, with a village, in Halstead district, Essex; 2¼ miles E by N of Yeldham r. station, and 8 NW of Halstead. Post town, Halstead. Acres, 1,842. Real property, £3,054. Pop., 537. Houses, 114. The property is subdivided. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £353.* Patron, the Duchy of Lancaster. The church is old, and has a Norman tower. There are an Independent chapel, a national school, and charities £10.

Stambourne through time

Stambourne is now part of Braintree district. Click here for graphs and data of how Braintree has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Stambourne itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Stambourne, in Braintree and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6906

Date accessed: 18th January 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Stambourne ".