Place:


Shalford  Essex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Shalford like this:

SHALFORD, a parish, with a village, in Braintree district, Essex; on the river Pant, 4¾ miles N N W of Braintree r. station. It has a post-office under Braintree. Acres, 2, 455. Real property, £4, 880. Pop., 760. Houses, 176. The property is much subdivided. The manor, with Abbots Hall, belongs to R. Marriott, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £203.* Patron, the Prebendary of Shalford in Wells Cathedral. The church consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with a tower.

Shalford through time

Shalford is now part of Braintree district. Click here for graphs and data of how Braintree has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Shalford itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Shalford, in Braintree and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6895

Date accessed: 23rd October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Shalford ".