Place:


Great Saling  Essex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Great Saling like this:

SALING (Great), a village and a parish in Braintree district, Essex. The village stands 4½ miles N W by W of Braintree r. station; dates from before the time of Edward the Confessor; and has a post-office under Braintree. The parish comprises 1, 651 acres. Real property, £2, 605. Pop., 361. Houses, 72. S. Grove is the seat of Mrs. Fowke. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £150.* Patron, W. V. Fowke, Esq. The church was restored in 1865. There are a national school, and charities £5.

Great Saling through time

Great Saling is now part of Braintree district. Click here for graphs and data of how Braintree has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Great Saling itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Great Saling, in Braintree and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6891

Date accessed: 14th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Great Saling ".