In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Roxwell like this:
ROXWELL, a parish, with a village, in Chelmsford district, Essex; on the river Chelmer, 4½ miles W by N of Chelmsford r. station. It has a post-office under Chelmsford. Acres, 4, 755. Real property, £5, 879. Pop., 986. Houses, 183. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to Lord Petre. Skreens is the seat of T. W. Bramston, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £250.* Patron, New College, Oxford. The church wasrepaired and enlarged in 1854. There are a national school, and charities £28.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Roxwell has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Chelmsford. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Roxwell and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Roxwell, in Chelmsford and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 25th August 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Roxwell".