Place:


Margaret Roding  Essex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Margaret Roding like this:

ROOTHING-MARGARET, a parish in Dunmow district, Essex; on the river Roding, 7 miles N N E of Ongar r. station. It contains the hamlet of Marks; and its post town is Roothing-Leaden, under Chelmsford. Acres, 1, 222. Real property, £1, 353. Pop., 236. Houses, 56. The property is divided among a few. Paddocks Hall is a chief residence. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £223.* Patron, J. Bentley, Esq. The church is good, and has a Norman door. There is an endowed school, with £16 a year.

Margaret Roding through time

Margaret Roding is now part of Uttlesford district. Click here for graphs and data of how Uttlesford has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Margaret Roding itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Margaret Roding, in Uttlesford and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6883

Date accessed: 26th January 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Margaret Roding ".