In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Rayne like this:
RAYNE, a village and a parish in Braintree district, Essex. The village stands on the river Brain, 1¾ mile W of Braintree r. station; and has a post-office under Braintree. The parish comprises 1, 676 acres. Real property, £3, 374. Pop., 401. Houses, 82. The property is subdivided. The manor belongs to the Earl of Essex. Clay for white bricks is worked. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £480.* Patron, the Earl of Essex. The church was rebuilt in 1840. Charities, £5.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Rayne has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Braintree. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Rayne and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Rayne, in Braintree and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 29th November 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Rayne".