Place:


Peldon  Essex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Peldon like this:

PELDON, a parish and a sub-district in Lexden district, Essex. The parish lies near Mersea Island, 4½ miles S W of Wivenhoe r. station, and 5½ S by W of Colchester; and has a post-office under Colchester. Acres, 2, 186. Real property, £3, 591. Pop., 501. Houses, 106 The property is much subdivided. ...


P. Lodge is a chief residence. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £583.* Patron, the Countess of Waldegrave. The church stands on an eminence, with commanding view; is later English, with a tower; and was restored in 1859, and then found to include remains of an early Norman church. There are a national school, and charities £20.—The sub-district contains also ten other parishes. Acres, 22, 769. Pop., 4, 685. Houses, 997.

Peldon through time

Peldon is now part of Colchester district. Click here for graphs and data of how Colchester has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Peldon itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Peldon, in Colchester and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6858

Date accessed: 19th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Peldon ".