In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Pebmarsh like this:
PEBMARSH, a village and a parish in Halstead district, Essex. The village stands on a small affluent of the river Colne, 3½ miles N E of Halstead r. station; is an ancient place; and has a post-office under Colchester. The parish comprises 2,023 acres. Real property, £3, 869. Pop., 653. Houses, 146. The property is subdivided. The manor belongs to W. G. Puller, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £500.* Patron, the Earl of Verulam. The church is old but good, and has a tower. There are a free school and charities £6.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Pebmarsh has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Braintree. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Pebmarsh and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Pebmarsh, in Braintree and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 18th January 2017
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Pebmarsh".