Place:


Panfield  Essex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Panfield like this:

PANFIELD, or Pantfield, a parish in Braintree district, Essex; near the river Pant, 2 miles N W by N of Braintree r. station. Post-town, Braintree. Acres, 1, 475. Real property, £2, 532. Pop., 308. Houses, 71. The property is much subdivided. Panfield Hallwas built in 1546; and is a fine structure, with squaretower and clustered chimneys. ...


A Benedictine priorywas built, about ½ a mile N of the church, in 1250; was a cell to Caen abbey in Normandy; came to the Crownin 1460; was given, at the dissolution, to Sir Giles Capel; and has left no remains. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £502.* Patron, the Rev. E. J. Hill. The church, in the Perpendicular style, is a small handsome edifice, beautifullyrestored.

Panfield through time

Panfield is now part of Braintree district. Click here for graphs and data of how Braintree has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Panfield itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Panfield, in Braintree and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6853

Date accessed: 19th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Panfield ".