Place:


Black Notley  Essex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Black Notley like this:

NOTLEY (Black), a village and a parish in Braintree district, Essex. The village stands near the river Brain, 1 mile N N W of Bulford r. station, and 1¾ S by E of Braintree. The parish contains also the hamlet of Row-Green; and its post town is Braintree. Acres, 1, 936. Real property, £3, 617. ...


Pop. in 1851, 527; in 1861, 489. Houses, 124. The decrease of pop. was caused partly by insufficient cottage accommodation, and partly by removal of silk-mill workers to the parish of Brain-tree. The property is subdivided. Many antiquities, including copper, brass, and glazed vessels, have beenfound. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £497.* Patron, St. John's College, Cambridge. The church is good, and has a wooden spire. There are a school with £10 a year from endowment, and charities £50. Bishop Bedell and the naturalist John Ray were natives.

Black Notley through time

Black Notley is now part of Braintree district. Click here for graphs and data of how Braintree has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Black Notley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Black Notley, in Braintree and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6842

Date accessed: 17th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Black Notley ".