Place:


Navestock  Essex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Navestock like this:

NAVESTOCK, a village and a parish in Ongar district, Essex. The village, which consists of four scattered hamlets, Navestock Side, Horseman Side, Cuddlesmere Green, and Navestock Heathstands near the river Roding, 5 miles S S W of Ongar r. station, and 6¼ N N E of Romford; and has a post-office under Romford. ...


Acres, 4, 329. Real property, £6, 417. Pop., 928. Houses, 178. The property is much subdivided. The manor was given by King Edgar to St. Paul's cathedral, and by Queen Mary to the ancestor of Earl Waldegrave; and, with Navestock Park, belongs now to the Dowager Countess of Waldegrave. Dudbrook House, the seat of the Countess, Navestock Hall, Abbotswick House, and Bois Hall, are chief residences. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £424.* Patron, Trinity College, Oxford. The church is large and good; and consists of nave, S aisle, and chancel, with wooden tower and shingled spire. There are a parochial school, and charities £51.

Navestock through time

Navestock is now part of Brentwood district. Click here for graphs and data of how Brentwood has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Navestock itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Navestock, in Brentwood and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6835

Date accessed: 22nd October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Navestock ".