Place:


Great Maplestead  Essex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Great Maplestead like this:

MAPLESTEAD (GREAT), a village and a parish in Halstead district, Essex. The village stands on high ground, 1 mile NE of the Colne river and the Colne Valley railway, 2¾ miles NNW of Halstead; took its name from maple trees, which anciently flourished on or around its site; and has the repute of being a very healthy place. ...


The parish slopes from the village to the river, and comprises 1,929 acres. Post town, Halstead. Real property, £3,373. Pop., 462. Houses, 106. The property is subdivided. The manor belonged, at Domes day, to the Gernons; passed to the Deanes; and, with Dynes Hall, belongs now to H. J. Sperling, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £210.* Patron, the Rev. D. Fraser. The church was enlarged and improved in 1861. A house of mercy was built in 1868, and endowed with £250 a year; is a quadrangle, in the first pointed style; and includes an infirmary and a chapel. There is a national school.

Great Maplestead through time

Great Maplestead is now part of Braintree district. Click here for graphs and data of how Braintree has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Great Maplestead itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Great Maplestead, in Braintree and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6821

Date accessed: 19th September 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Great Maplestead ".