Place:


Hexham  Northumberland

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Hexham like this:

Hexham, market town, par., and township, with ry. sta., S. Northumberland, 23½ miles W. of Newcastle-on-Tyne - par., 24,032 ac., pop. 6924; township and town, 5136 ac., pop. 5919; P.O., T.O., 3 Banks, 3 news-papers. Market-day, Tuesday. The town, which occupies a pleasant situation on the S. ...


bank of the river Tyne, is an ancient place, irregularly built, and having very narrow streets. The chief object of interest is the ruined Priory Church of St Wilfrid, built about 674, destroyed two centuries later by the Danes, renovated in 1113, and demolished by the Scots in 1296. The trade of Hexham is mainly agricultural; but there are some mfrs. of hats, gloves, and leather; and in the neighbourhood are large nurseries and market gardens. Near the town was fought (1463) the battle of Hexham, between the Yorkists and Lancastrians.

Hexham through time

Hexham is now part of Tynedale district. Click here for graphs and data of how Tynedale has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hexham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hexham, in Tynedale and Northumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/682

Date accessed: 20th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hexham ".