Ballingdon  Suffolk


In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ballingdon like this:

BALLINGDON-CUM-BRUNDON, a parish in the district of Sudbury, and county of Essex; on the northern verge of the county, ½ a mile SW of Sudbury r. station. Post Town, Sudbury. Acres, 366. Real property, £4,392. Pop. 861. Houses, 190. There are two manors, Ballingdon-above-Bridge and Ballingdon-below-Bridge. ...

The whole tract was long a parish under the name of Brundon, and seems to have been part of the manor of Brundon, which in the earliest times belonged to the family of Limesi; but now is sometimes regarded as a portion of the parish of Sudbury. The living is a vicar age, annexed to the vicarage of Sudbury, in the diocese of Ely. There is no church.

Ballingdon through time

Ballingdon is now part of Babergh district. Click here for graphs and data of how Babergh has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Ballingdon itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ballingdon, in Babergh and Suffolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.


Date accessed: 19th April 2019

Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Ballingdon ".