In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Kedington like this:
KEDINGTON, or KETTON, a village and a parish in Risbridge district; the village and most of the parish in Suffolk, but part of the latter in Essex. The village stands on the river Stour, 2½ miles ENE of Haverhill r. station; and has a post office under Newmarket. The parish contains also Brockley-Green, Great Wilseys, and the Risbridge workhouse. Acres, 2, 342. Real property of the Essex portion, £1, 317; of the Suffolk portion, £3, 638. Pop. of the E portion in 1851, 104; in 1861, 115. ...
Houses, 26. Pop. of the S portion in 1851, 668; in 1861, 881. Houses, 134. The increase of pop., in the latter, arose partly from the erection of the workhouse. The property is divided among a few; and a chief portion of it belongs to H. Purkis, Esq. The manor was known, at Domesday, as Keditune; belonged to the Baynards; and passed to the Earls of Clare and the Barnardistons. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely. Value, £701.* Patron, the Rev. W. H. Syer. The church is neat and good, and contains many ancient and handsome monuments. A school has £7 from endowment, and other charities £32.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Kedington has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of St Edmundsbury. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Kedington and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Kedington, in St Edmundsbury and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 20th September 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Kedington".