Place:


Michaelston Y Vedw  Monmouthshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Michaelston Y Vedw like this:

MICHAELSTONE-Y-VEDW, a hamlet and a parish in the district of Newport; the hamlet in Monmouth, the parish partly also in Glamorgan. The hamlet lies on the river Rumney, at the boundary with Glamorgan, 2½ miles NW of Marshfield r. station, and 5 SW of Newport. Acres, 1,134. Real property, £1,110. ...


Pop., 203. Houses, 43. The parish contains also the hamlet of Llanvedw, which is its Glamor.gan portion. Acres of that hamlet, 2,299. Real property, £1,962. Pop., 309. Houses, 62. Post town, Newport, Monmouth. The property is divided between two. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Llandaff. Value, £500. * Patron, Col.K. K. Tynte. The church is good. There are an endowed school with £64 a year, and charities £11.

Michaelston Y Vedw through time

Michaelston Y Vedw is now part of Newport district. Click here for graphs and data of how Newport has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Michaelston Y Vedw itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Michaelston Y Vedw, in Newport and Monmouthshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6806

Date accessed: 27th March 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Michaelston Y Vedw ".