Place:


Pudsey  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Pudsey like this:

PUDSEY, a large village, a township, two chapelries, and a sub-district, in Calverley parish, Bradford district, W. R. Yorkshire. The village stands on an eminence, ½ a mile S of Stanningley r. station, and 3½ E of Bradford; carries on extensive woollen manufacture; and has a post-office‡ under Leeds, a banking office, and severalinns. ...


The township contains also Fullneck village, Tyersall hamlet, and part of Stanningley village. Acres, 2.342. Real property, £31, 361; of which £469 are inquarries, and £1, 112 in gas-works. Pop. in 1851, 11, 603; in 1861, 12, 912. Houses, 2, 851. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to F. Stowe, Esq. The chapelries are P., St. Lawrence and P., St. Paul; and the latter was constituted in 1846. The livings are p. curaciesin the diocese of Ripon. Value of St. L., £300; * of St. P., £150.* Patron of St. L., the Vicar of Calverley; of St. P., alternately the Crown and the Bishop. . St. L.'schurch was built in 1821, at a cost of £13, 362; is in the pointed style; consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, withpinnacled tower; and contains 2,000 sittings. St. P.'schurch is a plain stone edifice. There are 13 dissenting chapels, a Moravian theological seminary, a church institute, a mechanics' institute, two national schools, a Moravian boarding school and day school, and some charities. The new Independent chapel was built in 1866, at a cost ofabout £2, 900; is a cruciform edifice, in the early Frenchsecond pointed style; and has a tower and spire 100 feethigh. The Moravian chapel stands at Fullneck, and is in the Italian style. The Unitarian chapel was built in 1861, and is in the early decorated pointed style. The sub-district is conterminate with the township.

Pudsey through time

Pudsey is now part of Leeds district. Click here for graphs and data of how Leeds has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Pudsey itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Pudsey, in Leeds and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/68

Date accessed: 12th December 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Pudsey ".