Place:


Merthyr Cynog  Brecknockshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Merthyr Cynog like this:

MERTHYR-CYYNOG, a parish and a sub-district in the district and county of Brecon. The parish lies on the river Honddu, 8 miles NNW of Brecon r. station; and comprises the hamlets of Lower Dyffryn-Honddu, Upper Dyffryn-Honddu, Yscirvawr, and Yscirvechan. Post town, Brecon. Acres, 21,278. Real property, £4,667. ...


Pop., 800. Houses, 154. The property is much subdivided. The surface is mountainous. An ancient camp is at Altarnog; and two pillar crosses are at Mynachty. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St. DaVid's. Value, £90. Patron, J. L. V. Watkins, Esq. The church was reported in 1859 as bad. The p. curacy of Dyffryn-Honddu is a separate benefice. There are chapels for Independents and Calvinistic Methodists. -The sub-district contains also two other parishes, and part of another. Acres, 34,651. Pop., 1,593. Houses, 318.

Merthyr Cynog through time

Merthyr Cynog is now part of Powys district. Click here for graphs and data of how Powys has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Merthyr Cynog itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Merthyr Cynog, in Powys and Brecknockshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6796

Date accessed: 25th November 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Merthyr Cynog ".