Place:


Great Leighs  Essex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Great Leighs like this:

LEIGHS (GREAT), a village and a parish in Chelmsford district, Essex. The village stands on the river Ter, 6¼ miles NE by N of Chelmsford r. station; and has a post office under Chelmsford. The parish contains also the hamlet of Chatley, and comprises 3,125 acres. Rated property, £3,353. ...


Pop., 909. Houses, 189. The property is much subdivided. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £878.* Patron, Lincoln College, Oxford. The church is very ancient, in tolerable condition; and has a Norman door and window, and a round tower of stone and flint. There are an Independent chapel, a national school, a British school, and charities £30.

Great Leighs through time

Great Leighs is now part of Chelmsford district. Click here for graphs and data of how Chelmsford has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Great Leighs itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Great Leighs, in Chelmsford and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6781

Date accessed: 24th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Great Leighs ".