In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Layer de la Haye like this:
LAYER-DE-LA-HAY, a village and a parish in Lexden district, Essex. The village stands 1 mile S of the river Roman, and 5 SSW of Colchester r. station; and has a post office under Colchester.The parish contains also the hamlet of Layer-Cross, and comprises 2, 577 acres. Real property, £4, 137. Pop., 807. Houses, 162. The property is divided among a few. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £80.* Patron, T. White, Esq. The church is good, and has a tower. There are an Independent chapel and a national school.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Layer de la Haye has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Colchester. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Layer de la Haye and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Layer de la Haye, in Colchester and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 23rd November 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Layer de la Haye".