Place:


Meidrum  Carmarthenshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Meidrum like this:

MYDRIM, or Meidrum, a parish in the district and county of Carmarthen; on the river Gynin, an affluent of the river Taff, 3 miles N by E of St. Clears r. station, and 8½ W of Carmarthen. Post-town, St. Clears. Acres, 6, 905. Rated property, £5, 142. Pop., 992. Houses, 190. The property is divided among a few. ...


Penrhoel is a chief residence. An ancient camp, called Castell-Brynule, is here. A fair for cattle and horses is held on 12th March. The living is a vicarage, united with the p. curacy of Llanfihangel-Abercowin, in the diocese of St. David's. Value, £90.* Patron, the Bishop of St. David's. The church was recently in disrepair. There is an endowed school with £8 a year.

Meidrum through time

Meidrum is now part of Carmarthenshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Carmarthenshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Meidrum itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Meidrum in Carmarthenshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6769

Date accessed: 18th November 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Meidrum ".