Place:


Littlebury  Essex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Littlebury like this:

LITTLEBURY, a village and a parish in SaffronWalden district, Essex. The village stands on the river Cam, and on an ancient Roman road, adjacent to the Eastern Counties railway, 2 miles N of Audley-End r. station, and 2 W of Saffron-Walden; and has a postoffice under Saffron-Walden. The parish contains also the hamlet of Littlebury-Green, and comprises 2,300 acres. ...


Real property, £5,288. Pop., 974. Houses, 191. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged, in the 9th century, to a monastery in the Isle of Ely; was given, by Queen Elizabeth, to Sutton, the founder of the Charterhouse; and passed to the Earls of Bristol. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £205.* Patron, the Bishop of Rochester. The church stands within the area of a Roman camp; is of considerable antiquity, plain and good; consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with a tower; and contains four brasses, from 1520. A chapel stood formerly at Chapel-Green, about 2 miles from the church. There are an endowed school with £75 a year, and charities £33. Winstanley, who built the first Eddystone lighthouse, and perished in it, was a native.

Littlebury through time

Littlebury is now part of Uttlesford district. Click here for graphs and data of how Uttlesford has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Littlebury itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Littlebury, in Uttlesford and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6765

Date accessed: 17th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Littlebury ".