Place:


Great Henny  Essex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Great Henny like this:

HENNY (GREAT), a parish in the district of Sudbury and county of Essex; on the river Stour and the Sudbury railway, at the boundary with Suffolk, 2 miles S of Sudbury r. station. Post town, Sudbury. Acres, 1, 120 Real property, £2, 562. Pop., 363. Houses, 80. The property is subdivided. The parish got its present name before the time of Edward the Confessor. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £375.* Patron, the Earl of Verulam. The church stands on an eminence, with a fine prospect; and has a tower and spire. There is a church school.

Great Henny through time

Great Henny is now part of Braintree district. Click here for graphs and data of how Braintree has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Great Henny itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Great Henny, in Braintree and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6758

Date accessed: 18th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Great Henny ".