Place:


Hempstead  Essex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hempstead like this:

HEMPSTEAD, a village and a parish in Saffron-Walden district, Essex. The village stands near the river Pant, 5¾ miles SSW of Haverhill r. station, and 6V E by S of Saffron-Walden; is an ancient place; and has a postoffice under Saffron-Walden. The parish includes also the hamlet of Blackden. ...


Acres, 3, 565. Real property, £5, 008. Pop., 797. Houses, 168. The property is subdivided. Winchlow Hall was the seat of the Harveys, one of whom was Dr. Harvey, the discoverer of the circulation of the blood. The parish is noted for its trees, and has a famous "Hempstead Oak, " of remarkable size. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Great Sampford, in the diocese of Rochester. The church is ancient; and consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with lofty tower.

Hempstead through time

Hempstead is now part of Uttlesford district. Click here for graphs and data of how Uttlesford has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hempstead itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hempstead, in Uttlesford and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6756

Date accessed: 27th January 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hempstead ".