Place:


Marchwiail  Denbighshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Marchwiail like this:

MARCHWIEL, a township and a parish in Wrexham district, Denbigh. The township lies on the river Clywedog, near the river Dee, Wat's dyke, and the Chester and Shrewsbury railway, 2 miles SE of Wrexham. The parish contains also the township of Sontley; and its Post town is Wrexham. Acres, 3,316. ...


Real property, £5,033. Pop., 536. Houses, 106. The property is subdivided. Marchwiel Hall was a seat of the Broughtons; belongs now to S. P. Hope, Esq.; and was recently restored. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St. Asaph. Value, £708.* Patron, the Bishop of St. Asaph. The church was restored in 1788, and contains a monument to Miss Yorke of Erddig The charities amounted formerly to £32 a year; they now include also the proceeds of a bequest of £5,000 by Captain D. Ellis in 1858; and they were regulated by an order of the charity commissioners in 1864.

Marchwiail through time

Marchwiail is now part of Wrexham district. Click here for graphs and data of how Wrexham has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Marchwiail itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Marchwiail, in Wrexham and Denbighshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6743

Date accessed: 18th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Marchwiail ".