Place:


Y Barri  Glamorgan

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Y Barri like this:

BARRY, a village, an island, and a parish in Cardiff district, Glamorgan. The village stands on the coast opposite the island, 9 miles SE of Cowbridge; is a sub-port to Cardiff; and has acquired importance by a harbour act of 1866, and by acts of 1865-6 for railways to the South Wales line at Peterston, to Sully, and to Penarth-The island comprises about 300 acres; and is separated from the mainland only by a narrow channel, passable for carriages at low water.—The parish contains 570 acres of land and 265 of water; and its Post Town is Barry under Cardiff. ...


Real property, £634. Pop., 87. Houses, 13. The property is divided among a few. There are ruins of an ancient castle and an ancient chapel. The living is a rectory, annexed to the rectory of Porthkerry, in the diocese of Llandaff. The church is good.

Y Barri through time

Y Barri is now part of The Vale of Glamorgan district. Click here for graphs and data of how The Vale of Glamorgan has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Y Barri itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Y Barri in The Vale of Glamorgan | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/674

Date accessed: 24th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Y Barri ".