Place:


Magor  Monmouthshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Magor like this:

MAGOR, a village, a township, and a parish, in New port district, Monmouth. The village stands on Old brook or Pratt pill, adjacent to the South Wales railway, on the N border of Caldicot level, 1¾ mile N of the Severn's estuary, and 7½ E by S of Newport; and has a station on the railway, and a post office,‡ under Chepstow. ...


The township extends to the coast, and comprises 1,890 acres of land and 830 of water. Real property, £3,636. Pop., 451. Houses, 91. The parish contains also the chapelry of Redwick, and comprises 4,124 acres of land, and 6,390 of water. Real property, £7,955. Pop., 740. Houses, 141. The property is divided among a few. The living is a vicarage, united with the chapelry of Redwick, in the diocese of Llandaff. Value, £285.* Patron, the Duke of Beaufort. The church is a handsome edifice; has an early English tower, with later English alterations; and was about to be restored in April, 1867. The churchyard is pretty. There are a Baptist chapel, a national school, and charities £3.

Magor through time

Magor is now part of Newport district. Click here for graphs and data of how Newport has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Magor itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Magor, in Newport and Monmouthshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6738

Date accessed: 24th October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Magor ".