In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Gestingthorpe like this:
GESTINGTHORPE, or Guestingthorpe, a village and a parish in the district of Sudbury and county of Essex. The village stands on a small affluent of the river Stour, 3¼ miles NNE of Castle-Hedingbam r. station, and 4¼ WSW of Sudbury; and has a post office under Halstead. The parish comprises 2, 630 acres. Real property, £5, 103. Pop., 769. Houses, 183. The property is much subdivided. The living is twofold, a vicarage and a sinecure rectory, in the diocese of Rochester. Value of the vicarage, £150;* of the rectory, £454. Patron of both, P. Elwes, Esq. The church is old but good; and has a tower. Charities, £16.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Gestingthorpe has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Braintree. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Gestingthorpe and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Gestingthorpe, in Braintree and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 29th April 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Gestingthorpe".