Place:


Fyfield  Essex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Fyfield like this:

FYFIELD, a parish in Ongar district, Essex; on the river Roding, 2¾ miles NNE of Chipping-Ongar, and 7½ NW of Ingatestone r. station. It has a post office under Ongar. Acres, 2, 450. Real property, £3, 675. Pop., 629. Houses, 121. The property is much subdivided. A number of celts, and a large quantity of metal for casting them, were found here in 1749. ...


The parish is a meet for the Essex hounds. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £741.* Patron, Countess Cowley. The church is ancient, but very good. Walker's endowment for a school and the poor has £47; and other charities have £19.

Fyfield through time

Fyfield is now part of Epping Forest district. Click here for graphs and data of how Epping Forest has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Fyfield itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Fyfield, in Epping Forest and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6714

Date accessed: 19th June 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Fyfield ".