In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Frating like this:
FRATING, a parish in Tendring district, Essex; 2 miles ENE of Wivenhoe r. station, and 6 ESE of Colchester. It has a post office under Colchester. Acres, 1, 237. Real property, £3, 373. Pop., 235. Houses, 51. The property is divided among a few. Frating Hall is a principal residence. The living is a rectory, united with the rectory of Thorington, in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £799.* Patron, St. John's College, Cambridge. The church is early English, and very good.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Frating has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Tendring. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Frating and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Frating, in Tendring and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 31st March 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Frating".