Place:


Elsenham  Essex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Elsenham like this:

ELSENHAM, a village and a parish in the district of Bishop-Stortford and county of Essex. The village stands adjacent to the London and Cambridge railway, 5 miles NE by N of Bishop-Stortford; and has a station on the railway. The parish comprises 1,829 acres; and its post town is Stanstead, under Bishop-Stortford. Real property, £2, 685. Pop., 480. Houses, 102. The property is divided among a few. Elsenham Hall is a chief residence. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £92.* Patrons, Trustees. The church is good; and there are charities £9.

Elsenham through time

Elsenham is now part of Uttlesford district. Click here for graphs and data of how Uttlesford has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Elsenham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Elsenham, in Uttlesford and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6700

Date accessed: 13th November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Elsenham ".