Place:


Elmdon  Essex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Elmdon like this:

ELMDON, a village and a parish in Saffron-Walden district, Essex. The village stands near the boundary with Cambridgeshire, 3 miles SW by W of Chesterford r. station, and 5¾ WNW of Saffron-Walden; and has a post office under Saffron-Walden. The parish comprises 2, 480 acres. Real property, £3, 654. Pop., 731. Houses, 161. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the rectory of Wendon-Lofts, in the diocese of Rochester. The church has a brass of a man and wives. An endowed school has £17; and other charities £4.

Elmdon through time

Elmdon is now part of Uttlesford district. Click here for graphs and data of how Uttlesford has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Elmdon itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Elmdon, in Uttlesford and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6698

Date accessed: 22nd October 2017


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Elmdon ".